Washington, D.C. 4/11/12 – The 16th annual Academic Bowl for Deaf and Hard of Hearing High School Students kicks off on April 12 and Gallaudet University would like to thank the J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation, Sorenson Communications, Bon Appetit Management Company, and FLIK Hotels & Conference Centers, for their generous support of this year’s competition.
Established by Gallaudet University in 1997, the Academic Bowl competition is a “Jeopardy!” style question-and-answer game of general knowledge and quick recall. Questions are drawn from the following categories: history and government; language and literature; science and technology; geography; mathematics; the arts; deaf studies; current events; and pop culture, leisure, and sports. The final round of the Academic Bowl will be held on the evening of April16, 2012, on the Gallaudet University campus.
- The J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation, a family foundation, has been a generous supporter of the Academic Bowl since 1996.
- Sorenson Communications, a provider of communication offerings for the deaf and hard of hearing, has been a generous supporter of the Academic Bowl since 2004.
- Bon Appetit Management Company, an onsite restaurant company that provides café and catering services to corporations, colleges and universities, and specialty venues, has also been a long-time supporter of the Academic Bowl. In the past, the company has given scholarship support and this year marks the first year of their sponsorship of the event.
- FLIK Hotels & Conference Centers, which operates the Gallaudet University Kellogg Conference Hotel (GUKCH), is a first-time sponsor of the event. GUKCH is a convention center located on Gallaudet University’s Washington, D.C. campus, which offers conference facilities, catering, and lodging accommodations for guests.
- Gallaudet University would also like to thank the Frank B. and Alice C. ‘30 Amann Fund for their gracious support of the Academic Bowl since 1998.
For more information about the Academic Bowl, visit: http://www.gallaudet.edu/Academic_Bowl.html
Gallaudet University, federally chartered in 1864, is a bilingual, diverse, multicultural institution of higher education that ensures the intellectual and professional advancement of deaf and hard of hearing individuals through American Sign Language and English. Gallaudet maintains a proud tradition of research and scholarly activity and prepares its graduates for career opportunities in a highly competitive, technological, and rapidly changing world.
Kaitlin Luna, Coordinator of Media and Public Relations
Kaitlin.Luna@Gallaudet.edu | (202) 448-7106